The Department of Education started in the year 1961 for the Undergraduate students of the College with Dr. (Ms.) D. Phukan as the Head of the Department. In the initial years all the teachers of the Department also assisted the B.Ed. College of St. Mary's to teach the general papers of the B.Ed. course. The Department has continuously ventured into several activities and programmes within and outside the College with an aim to bring benefit to the students of the College as well as the society as a whole.
The Department has at present 4 full time teachers against sanctioned posts.
|Name & Qualifications||Designation||Specialization||Date of Joining|
|Ms. Meristella War, M.A ., B .Ed.||HOD, Selection Grade Lecturer||Educational Psychology||01.11.86|
|Dr. (Ms) Winnie . J . Shylla, M.A., B.Ed, Ph.D.||Selection Grade Lecturer||Educational Statistics||16.10.95|
|Dr. (Ms) Regina Thabor, M.A., N E T, Ph.D.||Selection Grade Lecturer||Educational Sociology||15.07.03|
|Ms. Dapbiang Warjri||Lecturer||01.04.11|
|Ms Gibcia Lywait||22.07.10|
|Ms Nima Gurung||21.06.12|
Career and Prospects:
- Students can go for further studies.eg. Research in the field of Education.
- They can opt for teaching at the school and the undergraduate levels.
- Students are better equipped to continue their B.Ed and/or M.Ed courses.
- Administrative work especially in the field of Education becomes easier as there is an in-depth study about Educational Management.
- Students can choose to become Counsellors as Counselling as a subject is taught.
- Students are also equipped to pursue a Masters Degree in Human Resource Management; which is an qualification very much in demand in the Business and Education sector.
- Furthermore, Education as a subject is inter- related to other disciplines such as psychology, sociology and so on, thereby making it relevant to the study of these other disciplines should the students aim to take up the same.